Sunday, September 15, 2013

Organization: What exactly does that mean?

This week's reading assignment has gotten me to think about the idea of "organization". I like to think of myself as a fairly organized person. What does that really mean though? I know I need to make some improvements in this area. This isn't just some new year's resolution, made in September, to benefit myself. Rather, because disorganization is the breeding grounds for challenging behavior. If you are not organized, guess what? The students won't be either. I need to remind myself to take a page from Harry Wong's book when he compares a successful classroom to a successful restaurant. According to Wong, a successful restaurant is ready when "the table is ready, the dining room is ready and the staff is ready". Accordingly, a successful teacher is ready when, "the work is ready, the room is ready, and the teacher is ready." I need to do a better job of getting rid of those piles and organize into a state of being "ready" to use. If I'm not going to use it, I'm going to lose it. Maybe I should stop looking at it as being "organized" and instead look at being "ready"? Either way, I think I need to head to school. This is my Life on Lewis after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment